Chicago Area Employment Law Attorney
Colleen McLaughlin left her position as a consumer fraud prosecutor in the Illinois Attorney General’s office to establish her own Wheaton, Illinois, law firm in 1996. Starting fresh at the Law Offices of Colleen M. McLaughlin, Colleen continued to assist consumers but concentrated on developing her expertise in the area of law she most enjoyed — employment law. Initially, the firm’s focus was on the representation of employees. Over the course of time, Colleen recognized that both employees and employers, particularly small-business employers located in the western suburbs of Chicago, wanted and needed a local provider of employment law services. So, she focused her energies on establishing the western suburbs’ premier employment law firm for employees and small businesses.
An Employment Law Firm Dedicated to Resolving Your Workplace Concerns
Employment Law Matters Always Involve Unique Facts
No two clients, no two workplaces, and no two legal conflicts are identical, which makes for an intellectually challenging and never boring caseload. Excellence in the practice of employment law requires both depth of knowledge and breadth of experience. Our attorneys provide both. But, even more importantly, our attorneys truly enjoy the variety and challenges such a diverse caseload presents.
Chicago Area Employment Law Attorneys
Our attorneys work as a team. Any matter brought to us for evaluation requires a detailed factual screening to determine if the employee or business has any legal recourse. We listen to our clients’ concerns and try to be realistic in advising them as to the likelihood of our ability to achieve their desired outcomes. Whatever our assessment is on the merits of our clients’ claims, we work with them to determine the most viable courses of actions to obtain the best possible outcomes for their particular situations.
DuPage County Lawyer for Wrongful Termination
What the client may consider grossly unfair is not always illegal. Litigation is not always the answer. Because we understand both sides of the coin in employment law matters, our attorneys can anticipate the “other side’s” claims and legal maneuvers, thus staying one step ahead and enhancing chances of a successful resolution for our clients. Whether we litigate, mediate or simply provide advice, we tailor our approach to the specific situation and needs of the client.
Our most common areas of practice include working with employees in the areas of:
- Overtime claims (including class actions) under both the Illinois minimum wage law (IMWL) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Wage and hour disputes (commissions, bonuses and vacation pay) under both the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act (IWPCA) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Discrimination claims on the basis of age, race, gender, disability, religion and national origin
- Sexual harassment and hostile work environment
- Family and Medical Leave Act violations
- Wrongful termination claims based on retaliation, including whistleblower retaliation
- Negotiation of executive compensation packages and employment agreements
- Negotiation of severance agreements
- Non-competition, non-disclosure and non-solicitation agreements
- Unemployment insurance claims
Working with employers on prevention and resolution of employment disputes, including:
- Drafting employment handbooks and policies
- Training staff on employment policies and employment laws
- Conducting internal investigations on charges of discrimination
- Negotiation of severance, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
- Representation before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) on discrimination charges
- Advising businesses on best practices in employment matters
Our Reputation Is an Asset Directly Benefiting Our Clients
We, at the Law Offices of Colleen M. McLaughlin, have a track record of successful resolutions of employment law matters on behalf of employees and employers. Our firm has achieved excellent results in cases against some of the city’s and nation’s largest law firms. Colleen McLaughlin and her associates are employment law attorneys committed to maintaining the highest standards of ethics and professionalism. Contact us to learn how our employment law attorneys can help your case.
“What I find so impressive about your firm, is that you are not afraid to tell the client what they don’t want to hear, but you’re also not afraid to take on Goliath.” — Tammy M.