Contact the Law Offices of Colleen M. McLaughlin
Find out how the Law Offices of Colleen M. McLaughlin can help solve your employment law issue by calling 630-923-6591. Our effective representation is enhanced by the client communication that initiates every case. Listed below is helpful information about our intake interview process.
Potential Client Intake Interview
Generally, when an employee or consumer contacts our firm for the first time, our paralegal will conduct an initial free confidential phone interview to gather a brief description of your situation and concerns. This will be reviewed with one of our attorneys. A decision will then be made as to whether your matter is one in which we are in a position to assist you. There are many factors that enter into this decision including whether the urgency of your needs and/or the scope of your matter would affect our commitments to our current clients, which may preclude or limit our taking on new matters.
- Employees: Additionally, the simple truth is that there are many workplace situations which are “unfair,” but not necessarily “illegal.” Your employment issue may be one where there simply isn’t a “legal” solution to your workplace problem or the situation has not yet developed to the point where it is legally actionable.
- Employers and businesses: Matters brought to us by employers and businesses generally require review directly by one of our lawyers. Our fee structure will depend on the situation. We endeavor to offer the right kind of billing arrangement for each of our business clients — whether by flat-fee retainer, a project fee, or on an hourly rate basis. For litigation matters, our emphasis is on early case evaluation and the delivery of cost-effective representation.
- Consumers: Many consumer problems can be cost-effectively remedied by the Better Business Bureau or the Illinois attorney general’s office. Both agencies provide free mediation services. We generally recommend filing a complaint with these agencies prior to seeking legal recourse.
- In-person consultations: If your employment law or consumer law situation is one we believe needs further analysis, an appointment for an in-office consultation with one of our attorneys will be made. In most instances, a consultation fee will be charged. During the meeting, we will discuss the facts of your situation in greater detail, explain the pertinent employment or consumer laws involved and provide a recommendation for future action. If further action by our firm appears necessary, we will discuss a representation agreement that is suitable to your situation and needs.
- Payment and procedure: All consultation fees are due by cash or check at the time of service. If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please give us at least 24 hours notice.
In instances where litigation is not necessarily contemplated, we generally will ask our prospective clients to e-mail or fax to us, at least 24 hours prior to their appointments, any documents they wish to have reviewed for the consultation, such as employment contracts, severance agreements, non-compete agreements, relevant sections of an employee handbook or employment policy, or personnel records. Our attorneys will make every effort to review the documents before your consultation so that you will get the most out of your time with our attorney. If your situation is more complicated and/or involves voluminous documents, we ask that all documents be brought to our meeting and copies of the pertinent documents be provided for the attorney’s review.
- Attorneys’ availability: Our attorneys strive to be responsive to and provide personal attention to all our clients, but we also find that we are most effective when we avoid interruptions while working on client matters. We are not always immediately available to take your calls or meet with you. Our attorneys normally return phone messages and e-mails in order of urgency. If you become a client, please be assured that our attorneys or their assistants will return your message at their earliest opportunities.
Law Offices of Colleen M. McLaughlin
1751 S. Naperville Road Suite 209
Wheaton, IL 60187
Map and Directions