Colleen M. McLaughlin
Colleen has been practicing law for over thirty years. She has a broad range of legal experience from both the plaintiff and defense perspectives, as well as in the public and private sectors.
Colleen started her career in the Illinois Attorney General's Office, General Law Division. In 1986 she became the Director of the Illinois Attorney General's DuPage County Regional Office. As Director, Colleen prosecuted violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act and supervised a staff that investigated over 1500 complaints a year. In addition, her caseload included representation of the Illinois Department of Labor in wage actions and the Illinois Department of Employment Security in matters related to unemployment benefits.
Collen has been in private practice since 1996. Before becoming the founding member of McLaughlin & Hobfoll, Colleen operated her own firm, the Law Offices of Colleen McLaughlin. Since then she has concentrated her practice on employment law related matters. She represent and counsels both employees and businesses on employment law issues and a broad range of workplace concerns.
Colleen is committed to her profession, as evidenced by her leadership in legal organizations. She is a past president of the DuPage County Bar Association (DCBA) and she has served as a member of the DCBA since 1999. She chaired the DCBA's High School Mock Trial Competition for 25 years. Colleen is also the 2001 recipient of the Board of Directors Award for Outstanding Service to the DCBA. Colleen is a past President of the DuPage Association of Women Lawyers (DAWL) and a founding member of the DAWL Foundation, which provides scholarships to female law students in DuPage. Colleen was also a member of the Task Force for Child Friendly Courts, responsible for the establishment of "Safe Harbor." Safe Harbor is a room in the DuPage Court house where the children of litigants are care for while parents attend court. In addition, Colleen is an active member of the Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA. She is a member of the ISBA Assembly and Agenda Committee and has chaired several ISBA committees, including the labor and Employment Law Section Counsel. She is also a member of the national and Illinois chapters of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA).
Colleen is a 1980 graduate of the Chicago Kent College of Law. She graduated with High Honors. She received her Bachelor of Arts with University Honors in 1977 from Northern Illinois University. She is licensed to practice in Illinois state court, the Federal District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois, and before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court. She is member of the Federal Trial Bar. Colleen is also a chair qualified arbitrator for the 18th Judicial Circuit of Illinois.
Areas Of Practice
- Employment Law
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois
- Honors: With High Honors
- Northern Illinois University
- Bachelor of Arts - 1977
- Honors: University Honors
Honors and Awards
- Board of Directors Award for Outstanding Service to the DCBA
Professional Associations and Memberships
- DuPage County Bar Association (DCBA), Past President
- DCBA, Member, 1999 to Present
- DuPage Association of Women Lawyers (DAWL), Past President
- Task Force for Child Friendly Courts, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA), Active Member
- ISBA Assembly and Agenda Committee, Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA), Member, National and Illinois Chapters
- Federal Trial Bar, Member
- 18th Judicial Circuit of Illinois, Chair Qualified Arbitrator
Past Employment Positions
- Illinois Attorney General’s DuPage County Regional Office, Director
Pro Bono Activities
- Founding Member, DAWL Foundation